Getting Juicy Mushroom Pics
Many people ask me how to photograph mushrooms. They see my photographs of nature’s beautiful fungi and wonder how I was able to capture such a succulent image.
- Get the right lighting. 3/4 sun 1/4 shade is a good rule
- Warm diffused light looks good
- Lighting the underbelly of the mushroom makes for a more dynamic picture (maybe bring a mirror)
Positioning and Focus
- Always make sure the mushroom is in focus
- Maybe place a big mushroom in the foreground with an out of focus mushroom in the background
- Putting the biggest mushroom in focus in the middle creates impact
- A mushroom thats a dark on a tree thats a dark color will look muddy unless advanced techniques are used
- Bright colored mushrooms are more fun
- Looking for moss or lichen like in the example above makes for a more dynamic and visually captivating piece
Pro Tip: Be careful not to disturb the forest and its beautiful eco system while taking your photo
Now you can go forth and take your own pictures of mushrooms! Have Fun.